MY WEDDING!!!!!!!!!!

February 26,2011


Hello My Fellow Worshippers of the God of Israel!

Today's blog is my last one and it is about my wedding ceremony!
Lets start with the week before the wedding. For this week I couldn't see her which was tremendously difficult. My mind was racing with many different thoughts about her and myself! The entire week was probably the most nervous period of my life by far. No matter how hard I try this blog will not reflect my true emotions that week and especially the night before.

Moving on to the first part of the wedding; The Ketuvah. This is the official contract signed by myself and my chosson (bride). This is similar to the one signed at the Vort but  it outlines my responsibilities; provide shelter, food, etc. It must be witnessed by two people; our best friends Jon and Mary. After this was over the butterflies in my stomach had calmed down.  Now I could then truly focus on the significance behind every part in the wedding. Another reason for this was because we had some light snacks and drank some hard liquor.

Next is the Bedeken which is the 'veiling by the groom'. I am accompanied by my father and father in-law and see my chosson for the first time in a week. At this point all the emotions I thought I had got rid of the previous week came back. I could not help but cry in joy for Elizabeth was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! She is sitting in a throne while musicians played some instrumental music. I approached her and placed the veil on her.

The Chuppah is a canopy type tent which is usually placed outside, however it was snowing so we placed it inside. It symbolizes our new home and life together. I wore a white robe called the kittel which represents a a new clean slate. My chosson arrives with my mother and mother in-law and circles around me seven times. It symbolizes that she is protective and the seven represents the days of creation.

The rabbi blessed our bottle of wine as we drank from it. The wine is the symbol for life and that our lives together will be blessed. It's followed by the most nervous part for myself; the Kiddushin where I place a plain, gold ring on my chosson's finger.

Then the rabbi recited the Sheva Brachos; seven blessings. It's said over a cup of wine which we drank after the blessings. We had finished the cup then I smashed it with my foot. This was one of my favourite parts; the reason for this tradition is to show our sorrow of the Jewish Exile.

The final part was the Cheder Yichud(Private Room). Where we were finally together alone for the first time. This moment was a time of joy and realization for now we are married! Then we were served a large meal because we have been fasting all day long now.

Well that pretty much sums up the wedding day. Thanks for following me on my jourey through My Orthodox Marriage.

God Bless,

Jonah Bloom